Monday, June 21, 2010

Beaches and BBQs....


Well - where to begin!  It is another gorgeous day here in Ballinamona and with the pup down for her morning nap I'm right back to blogging.  Later on today I hope to cook you up a nice Beef Stroganoff but for now let me catch you up o what's been going on here at the Limpach household....

Last week Chris' company had a big joint sales meeting here in Limerick with folks over from England, Scotland and the US - and when did it fall? right on his birthday.... so we had a big company/birthday BBQ.  Upon asking my dear husband what the essential food items would be, I got the response "Mom's potato salad and your Tiramisu" '- but of course..'  - then burgers, sausages and a birthday cake were a give,n so off we went to Tesco in Limerick, bought in all the food and drink we needed and from 830am until 5pm I spent Tuesday in the Kitchen.  Several soundtracks kept me company - anything and everything from a musical selection including The Sound of Music to the newest Glee soundtrack, to the Cranberries (getting me in the mood for their concert next week in Cork - Chris' birthday present and, I have to say, present to me - they haven't been 'home' in 17 years....).  Anyhow, the long day was worth it and to be honest, I love my kitchen and I love to cook so labor-filled as it was,  I enjoyed it all!

The menu ended up being:

BURGERS - made from mince-meat, a dash of woodsmoked brown sauce, fresh herbs from the garden, breadcrumbs, eggs and plenty of seasoning...
SAUSAGES from http://www.rigneysfarm.com/farm_shop.htm just around the corner from our house... award winning pork and fabulously fresh!
SALADS - Cous cous with mixed beans in balsamic vinegar, Mixed Greens with fresh cherry tomatoes and of course, the Limpach family Potato Salad...

and then TIRAMISU and CHOCOLATE CAKE....

However, for my personal challenge and pleasure, I decided to throw in a novelty cake for Chris...I don't know whether or not I will ever make another attempt at this form of baking - the icing was too warm, the marzipan was drying out and Chris' head changed shape a good 5-6 times before I slopped it all on the cake and was done... I am not overly proud of how it turned out BUT I will say it put a smile on his face...

















After such a long week, we decided it was time to hit the Beach in this fantastic weather.  We packed a picnic and puppy and headed off to Spanish Point up in Co. Clare.  There was little divide between the blue of the ocean and the blue of the sky, the sand was golden and the water a perfect temperature (for paddling!).  We introduced Jozy to the puddles that the waves made, hoping that one day she might want to bound down the sand and straight into the water.  Success? Maybe... it's hard to tell if she's going to be that typical Lab who just loves the water.  The ocean is so big and she's still so small that I can only imagine it was more intimidating that potential fun, however, we ran and played in the water and the fun only disappeared when we stopped running and realised we were wet... oh dear...































Now, if my windswept hair could only be half as cute as Jozy in the photos we'd be onto a winner....







2 comments:

  1. Such cute photos! And that cake is adorable...did any inspiration spring from Wallace & Gromit?? :) Wish I could cook with you in your gorgeous kitchen. Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona- You should check out my sister-in-law's blog. She is an insane chef/baker and likes a big challenge in the kitchen, just like you! http://nibblesandbits.tumblr.com/
    Ps. your dog is SO cute!

    ReplyDelete